Thanks to our amazing supporters, staff, and Casita families, 2013 was a great year. We now serve 35 children and 14 mothers and our programs are growing and improving each day! Nothing sums up what life is like at Casita better than the kids’ own smiling faces. So here’s a look at 2013 – in pictures!
We are so thrilled about what 2014 will bring. Here’s a few of our goals for the year:
- Distribute a new bed to each family – Thanks to you, we collected donations to make a new bed for each family! We’re building them now and will be dropping them off soon.
- Enroll more moms in our literacy program – We already have 2 new recruits joining our 5 returning students and we’re hoping to get even more moms learning to read and write.
- Increase our services for women – On Friday we’ll start our first Women’s Club Meeting. The club will meet once a week to discuss topics such as parenting, self-esteem, being a woman in Honduras, health, relationships, and more. We’ll also be adding activities based on the interests of the moms, such as embroidery, sewing, and cooking.
- Spruce up our environment – We’re hoping to make Casita even homier by creating learning spaces designed to stimulate education and building some new furniture.
- Motivate our kids to succeed – Tutoring is getting an extra boost this year and we’ll be encouraging our kids to do even better in school than last year.
- Provide even better programming for the kids – We’re looking for ways to provide better and more interesting program to our kids such as art classes, music classes, workshops, field trips, internships, and more. The opportunities are endless and we can’t wait to see what’s in store!
- Build our first “Casitas” – This will be the year that we start creating our first “casitas” or family-style homes to care for small groups of abandoned children. We are confident that the paperwork will go through here in Honduras soon and we can get to work on this integral part of our vision!
- So much more – Our list of goals keeps growing and we can’t wait to see what else gets added to the list as the year goes on.